Saint Michael and All Angels lay and clergy members have participated in the Episcopal Cursillo Movement for over 40 years. They are joined by others from parishes throughout the Kansas City metro area. Cursillo is a national movement within the Episcopal Church. Locally, we participate in the Heartland Episcopal Cursillo serving Western Missouri and the Diocese of Kansas. In planning and programs we are directly responsible to Bishop Wolfe and Bishop Field.
- The goal of Cursillo is the goal of the Church: to bring all to Christ.
- It's mission is to create and support Christian leaders.
More information about Cursillo and its mission can be found at the National Episcopal Cursillo web site (http://www.episcopalcursillo.org). Parish contacts, Harriet Duff, Sandy Ackerson, and Penny Hughes, would also be glad to answer your questions. The Reverend Bill Breedlove would be an excellent resource to discuss how Cursillo can enrich your service to Christ.
Monthly meetings of the community - called Ultreyas - are held at various parishes throughout the area on the second Friday of every month at 6:30 pm. They include a pot luck dinner, music, study, reflection, and time for prayer.
ALL ARE WELCOME!
- November 9 - Church of the Redeemer, Kansas City, MO - Theme: Study - Early Christian Art
- December 14 - All Saints, Kansas City, MO - Theme: Piety - Discovering Your Spirituality Profile
- January 11 - St. Aidan's, Olathe, KS - Theme: Action - Action - Lay Talk and Clergy Response
- February 8 - Church of the Redeemer, Kansas City, MO - Theme: Piety - "Lent is Coming -- Are Your Ready?"
- March 8 - St. Michael's, Independence, MO - Theme: Study - Book Discussion of Sabbath
- April 12 - St. Mary Magdalene, Kansas City, MO - Theme: Action - "Sponsorship" Lay Talk and Clergy Response
- May 10 - St. Clare's, Spring Hill, KS - Theme: Piety - Agape Meal
- June 14 - St. Michael and All Angels, Mission, KS - Theme: Study - Early Christian Art - Part II
For current information regarding monthly plans or driving directions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Three-Day Weekend -- August 8-11, 2013
The next Cursillo Three-Day Weekend will be held at the Heartland Presbyterian Center on August 8-11, 2013. The Lay Rector for this Weekend will be John Forrest. Lay and clergy volunteers from area parishes (including St. Michael's) are already meeting to prepare and serve on the volunteer teams. For volunteer team applications, click here.
It is not too early to mark your calendars and begin asking how you may benefit from this experience. For an application packet to attend, click here. With limited space available for the Weekend, your application needs to be completed as soon as possible.
If you would like to learn more, please contact The Reverend Bill Breedlove to discuss the opportunities this weekend can offer you. If you would like a lay perspective, you may also contact Harriet Duff, Penny Hughes, or Sandy Ackerson at the addresses below. They can assist you with volunteer and attendee applications.
The Cursillo Three-Day Weekend brings together a diverse group of Episcopalians to share the richness of many modes of worship and to broaden each one's appreciation for our Church. Lay people conduct the weekend with two or three members of the clergy functioning as spiritual advisors.
Cursillo presumes that those who attend are already well grounded in the faith. The Weekend is not intended to be a conversion experience, but an enriching and deepening of what is already there. It often provides new insights into our faith, as well as fostering ministry among lay people.
The Weekend begins Thursday evening with meditations, discussions, and Compline. Then silence is kept until after the worship on Friday morning. After breakfast, participants are assigned to table groups for the weekend. The three days are filled with talks and group discussions with emphasis on the doctrine of Grace, the Sacraments, and the Cursillo tripod: Piety, Study, and Action. Plus there is fellowship, singing, good food, and time for privacy, meditation, and prayer. Eucharist is celebrated each day.
Prayer and Cursillo
Prayer is part of all Cursillo activities. It is often referred to with the Spanish word, Palanca. The community offers prayers for the needs of parish members throughout the area and beyond. Prayer in other forms is expressed through service in parishes and the community. If you have personal or family needs and would like to be added to the prayer list, please contact your parish representatives.
Cursillo Contacts and Leadership
- Harriet Duff - email@example.com
- Sandy Ackerson - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Penny Hughes - email@example.com
- Sandy Ackerson, Metro Servant Community Lay Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Wilson+, Heartland Episcopal Cursillo Clergy Liaison to the Bishop - email@example.com
- Harriet Duff, Heartland Episcopal Cursillo Secretariat Lay Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
National Episcopal Cursillo: http://www.episcopalcursillo.org/